Our priority is to help keep you in your home  

We understand that ‘life happens’ and at times you may have worries about keeping up with your mortgage payments. It can be tough to admit you have money problems and it can feel easier to avoid a conversation with us and hope the situation improves. 

But the sooner you get in touch, the quicker we can help you. Speaking to us will not negatively impact your credit report and may help you at this difficult time.

You are not alone, our Mortgage Service team are available on 01384 216103 from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday and 9.00am to 12.00pm, on Saturday. Your call will be answered personally by one of our friendly Customer Service Advisors.

Contact Us

There are several ways that we can help if you need support with your mortgage payments. If you're struggling with your mortgage due to higher living costs and interest rate rises, find out more about your options. 

FCA Guidance

The Mortgage Charter

We are a member of the Mortgage Charter. Under the Charter, there are several ways that we can help if you need support with your mortgage payments.

If you can manage your current monthly payment amount, you should avoid making interest only payments or extending your mortgage term because you will pay more interest overall.

Does the Mortgage Charter apply to all borrowers?

Support under the Charter is available for residential owner-occupied mortgage customers. However, our Mortgage Support team can provide extensive support to all borrowers who may be struggling with their mortgage payments.

Support under the Mortgage Charter
Switch to a new mortgage deal

You can switch to a new mortgage deal up to 3 months before your current deal ends, as long as you’re up to date on your mortgage payments. And we’ll do this without carrying out an affordability check.

If your existing mortgage deal is coming to end, please contact us to find out more information.

Switch to interest only

If your current mortgage repayment type is ‘capital and interest’ (sometimes this is also called ‘repayment’), you could reduce your repayments by switching to ‘interest only’. 

Under the Mortgage Charter, you can request a temporary transfer to interest-only for 6 months. All parties to the mortgage will need to approve the request, once received we will process within 10 working days.

At the end of the six months your mortgage will automatically revert to ‘capital and interest’. Your monthly payments will be higher as you’ll be paying both the interest and the loan amount of your mortgage. Please make sure you have plans in place for the higher monthly payments when this comes to an end. Switching temporarily to interest-only means you'll pay more interest overall. During this period, we will not report this as a payment arrangement on your credit file.

If you can meet your mortgage payments, then you should continue to do so. This is a variation to your mortgage contract and will be completed on an execution-only basis. This means you are telling us the change you'd like to make and therefore won’t receive advice or a recommendation from us.

Extend your mortgage term

Extending your mortgage term is one way to help reduce your monthly payments and budget over a longer term.

We recommend that you seek advice from a financial advisor before progressing with a request to extend your mortgage.

We can arrange for one of our advisors from Concept Financial Services to call you back. To request a call back complete the online form and we will be in touch.

However you can proceed under the terms of the Mortgage Charter by contacting us directly

It’s also important to remember that you have the option to change your mortgage term back to its original term during the first six months without any affordability checks. By changing back to your original term your monthly mortgage payments will increase.

Extending your mortgage means you’ll pay more interest overall and your balance will take longer to reduce as your mortgage term will increase and you will be paying over a longer period. If you can meet your current mortgage payments, then you should continue to do so. You can choose to switch back to your original term within the first 6 months of the term extension, without needing an affordability assessment. By changing back to your original term your monthly mortgage payments will increase.

After this time, any application to reduce your term will be subject to your receiving advice, a full application and affordability checks.

Making your money and pension choices clearer 

MoneyHelper is here to help, so you can move on with life. Here to cut through the jargon and complexity, explain what you need to do and how you can do it. Here to put you in control, with free, impartial help that’s quick to find, easy to use and backed by government. 

Whatever your circumstances or plans, MoneyHelper is on your side. Online and over the phone, you’ll get clear money and pension guidance. They can also point you to trusted services if you need more support. 

Open to everyone, MoneyHelper is helping people to clear their debts, reduce spending and make the most of their income. To support loved ones, plan ahead for major purchases and find out about entitlements. To build up savings and pensions and know their options. 

MoneyHelper's money troubles guidance

MoneyHelper's debt guidance

Free online debt advice from StepChange

StepChange provide online debt advice sessions which can support you in dealing with your debt, creating tailored solutions individual to you.

Online debt advice 

Feedback from our mortgage members

“My experience has been great with Dudley Building society they have supported me in a very big way and each time took time listening to me….”

Mortgage member


"We have had a mortgage now with the society for nearly thirty years and I have to speak as I find, they are amazing, through the tough times, we have had a few, they listen and they treat you with respect and kindness…”

Mortgage member


"The lady I dealt with has been very helpful and supportive. I have been going through financial and medical difficulties. She guided me through the process and her advice has really helped not just financially but mentally to."

Mortgage member

Excellent Customer Reviews
4.82 stars from 2971 reviews
Smart Money People
Star Star Star Star Star
See our reviews

Looking for further support?

Please see links to additional guidance below.

Mortgage Support
Charges and costs

If you fail to keep up with your mortgage payments, there are a range of common charges you will be expected to pay.

You are sent a Tariff of Charges with your annual statement. You will also be notified of any costs incurred for the management of your account. This includes any administration charges for non-payment or litigation.

What happens if your home is repossessed?

If your home is repossesed, we will do all we can to obtain the best possible sale price for your property to clear your mortgage.

If there are insufficient funds to repay your mortgage balance you will still owe us whatever is remaining. This will be referred to as a shortfall debt.

An unpaid shortfall debt could stop you from getting credit in the future.

Will falling behind with repayments affect my credit rating?

Credit rating agencies are independent companies, who collect personal data and financial history. This information is ued to prevent fraud and decide whether to lend money or provide credit. We like other lenders provide the agencies with information about how mortgages are managed. Other lenders will use this information for credit assessments.

If your account falls into arrears this information will be recorded with the credit rating agencies. This may mean that you will find it difficult to obtain credit or borrow money in the future..

How do I view my mortgage online?

Visit our Online Service page and select 'Register'. You will then need to enter your surname, date of birth, postcode, and mortgage account number. Follow the steps to create your username, password and memorable word. We will then send a one time passcode to your mobile to confirm your identity.

Following this registration, you will be able to view details of your mortgage via the Online Service. Please note that this is read only and mortgage payments cannot be made online. You can amend some personal details online but not your name or address.

Please note the following:

  • You will only be able to register if we already have your mobile number registered to your account. If we don’t have your mobile number and you would like to register, please contact our Customer Services Team.
  • You can only register if you have a UK address and UK phone number
  • If you hold a Power of Attorney or are a Deputy for someone under the Court of Protection, you will be able to view the accounts you are registered to
  • The Online Service is only compatible with certain browsers
How do I tell you I have changed my address?

1. If you are a savings customer, you can update your details via the Online Service. If you haven't already registered, click here to find out how. To change your contact details, click 'Services' on the top navigation bar and then select 'Personal details'.  From here, you will be able to amend your details. You won't be able to change your name or date of birth online                                 

2. Print a Change of Address form found here, complete and email to our Mortgage Servicing Team at [email protected] or send via post. Each borrower will need to complete a seperate form.                           

3. If you are a mortgage customer, please call our Mortgage Servicing Team on 01384 231414 or find our full contact details here

4. Visit your local branch

Society account details aren’t validating when I make a payment from an external account?

When making an online payment from another bank or building society you might encounter a warning message that suggests you are unable to validate Dudley Building Society account details.

There is no need to worry about this error message providing you have ensured that the account details entered are correct, and that your correct roll number/account number is included within the reference. If these details are correct, the payment will make it to us regardless of the warning.

What is the interest rate on my account?

There are several way you can find out what your current interest rate is:

1. You can find your mortgage or savings interest rate via the Online Service. If you haven't already registered, click here - Please note that you will only be able to register if you have a UK address and UK phone number. 
2. Call our Customer Services Team on 01384 231414
3. Visit your local branch

If you want to see interest rates for savings products that are no longer available, please see our Closed Interest Rates table.


How do I inform you of a bereavement?

You can register the death by calling our Customer Services Team on 01384 231414, visit or call your local branch or email [email protected] 

If you have access to a printer, you can print a death registration form, found here, and return to us with the original death certificate or a certified copy. 

Please visit our Bereavement Support page for all information about registering a death. Please note, if you require us to register the deceased account(s), we will need to see the death certifcate to accommodate your requests.

Are there any fees or charges to redeem my account?

Redemption fees or charges will depend on what type of mortgage product you have.

Most products do have an Early Repayment Charge during the initial incentive period (e.g. fixed or discounted rate). A smaller number have additional Early Repayment Charges after the incentive period.

We also charge administration fees.

Details and all our current charges can be found in our tariff of charges. A copy of this is sent to you each year with your annual statement.

Can I borrow more money?

For information on whether you are able to borrow more money on your mortgage with us, please contact Concept Financial Services by using our Enquiry Form.

Can I get a mid-year statement of my transactions?

We issue mortgage transaction statements annually, normally in April, however you can view your transactions via our Online Service by registering here.

If you do not have a UK address, you will not be bale to register for our Online Service, so please call our Mortgage Servicing Team on 01384 231414. 

Have you received my recent payment?

You can check this on our Online Service. If you haven't registered for this yet, please click here.

How do I change my repayment method or extend the term of my mortgage?

To ensure that we can respond to your individual requirements, please contact our Customer Services Team to discuss this in more detail.

How do I change the address that post is sent to for my mortgage account?

Please complete the online form or contact us and we can send you a form.  

How do I close my mortgage account?

In order to close your mortgage account, you will first need a redemption statement. Please contact us to request one.

How do I make an overpayment to my mortgage account?

You may be able to afford to make additional payments on top of your existing monthly payments. This will help reduce the amount you owe, as well as reduce the amount of interest you repay over the mortgage term.

These can be made through regular overpayments or lump sump payments (note: overpayment limits or early repayment charges may apply, please refer to your most recent illustration for details).

You can send your payment by bank transfer. Our Bank Details are:
Sort Code : 60.83.18 
A/C No : 10001008
Account Number : Your Mortgage Account Number

You can also contact us to pay by debit card.

How do I pay this month's mortgage payment?

The best way is to set up a direct debit. You can return a completed direct debit form, found here, to us or call our Mortgage Servicing Team on 01384 241414. 

If you are not able to do this then you can send your payment by standing order or bank transfer.

Our Bank Details are:
Sort Code : 60-83-18 
A/C No : 10001008
Account Number : Your Mortgage Account Number (this starts with '1' and is nine digits long)

You can also contact us to pay by debit card.  

How do I repay my outstanding mortgage balance in full (redeem)?

You can either call us on 01385 231414 or send us a secure message through the Online Service.  

I am looking for a new mortgage deal, what should I do?

Switching your mortgage with us is easy and you do not have to complete a new mortgage application. It will also mean there are no application, valuation or legal fees  

Whether your mortgage product is coming to an end or has already ended, we’re here to help make the switching process as simple as possible. Please send us a secure message using the Online Service or contact us here.

I can’t afford to pay my mortgage. What should I do?

We understand that sometimes you may have concerns or difficulties over your ability to pay your mortgage. If you are having difficulties, it's important you contact us early, so we can discuss your individual circumstances and enables us to work with you to resolve your payment difficulties  as soon as possible. 

If we cannot agree a way forward, we will begin legal proceedings to recover the arrears, which will incur additional cost. It may mean a court hearing will take place but not necessarily that your home will be repossessed.

Repossession is our last resort. You should remain in contact with us at all times.

To find out more about the support we can offer, click here

I have an Interest Only account and my repayment plan is not on track.

We understand that plans change. If your Interest Only repayment plans have altered or are no longer viable, it is important that you act straight away and either seek independent financial advice or contact us now.

What happens if I have made a mortgage payment after my mortgage redeems?

Any additional payments to a mortgage account that has been redeemed will be refunded.

If the overpayment was in the form of a direct debit payment, this will be refunded back to your bank account. For any other refunds, please contact us and we will discuss the best way to process your refund.

What happens to the Title Deeds to my house after redemption?

The Society followed the Land registry approach to dematerialise paper-based documents which basically moved deeds from being paper based, to electronic. This means there is no longer a requirement for the Society to retain paper deeds to secure the mortgage, as all the legal information is available electronically at http://www.landregistryuk.online 



What is my current mortgage balance?

The easiest way to check your mortgage balance is via our Online Service. If you have not registered for this yet, please click here

Please note that you will only be able to register if you have a UK address and UK phone number. 

What term do I have left on my mortgage?

The easiest way to check your mortgage term is via our Online Service. If you haven't registered for this yet, please click here.

Please note that you will only be able to register if you have a UK address and UK phone number. 

When do I receive my annual mortgage statement?

We send out mortgage statements annually, normally in April. This will cover transactions from April to March of the previous year.